Saturday, July 6, 2013

My Journey Through 25 Books #3 - 6

If you've been following The Essential Principal lately you'll know our campus just launched a campus wide reading initiative where students and staff are encouraged to read 25 books.  I pledged to take you through my journey alongside me as we trek through a year of reading. 

I used a great deal of car traveling time and several relaxing vacation venues to read books #3, 4, 5 and 6.

Book #3: The Confession by John Grisham. I will admit I've pretty much read every single JG book he's written. I've enjoyed his deep Southern law stories, but his best writings are A Painted House and Bleachers - both off the beaten path of legal battles, tort reform and ladder climbing. Make no doubts, The Confession didn't disappoint either. More than once I thought the book was about to end, only to happily find out it kept going. No spoilers here - read it for yourself!

Book #4: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. It's been awhile since I've picked up a YA book to read and I was glad that I did. I enjoyed the literary references and kept feeling as if the two main characters were modern-day Romeo and Juliet. I managed to read this one rather quickly and was left wondering what happened next? 

Book #5: Cold Tangerines by Shauna Niequist. If the name sounds familiar, she's the author of Bread and Wine, also known as Book #2 in my earlier post. Another solid example of friends, faith and life according to Shauna.  Her writing brings you into her world and makes you feel as if you're right there in the room. 

Book #6: The Ten Minute Inservice by Todd Whitaker and Anne Breaux. My reading selections took a turn down the professional road.  Outstanding must-read for any administrator.  As usual, Whitaker gives honest, direct instructions that are simple and easy to implement.  Give him a follow on Twitter at @ToddWhitaker - you'll be glad you did.

In looking back at my 6 books, I realize I'm quite an eclectic reader. What's up next on the list? Beautiful Ruins by Jess Walter, Memoirs of an Inner City Elementary School Principal by Pat Michaux, Feedback: The Hinge That Joins Teaching and Learning by Jane Pollock, and Teach Like a Pirate by Dave Burgess. 

Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Kim!

    I find your blog site very useful and helpful! Thank you very much for all the tips and advice.

    I would just like to ask if you allow guest blogs on your site. If so, I would be very happy to submit relevant blog articles.

    Thank you for taking the time to read this.

    Dax Valencia

    ReplyDelete